Tuesday, January 14, 2014

TOC Devo: The Smallest Act Makes a Huge Impact

"The Smallest Act Makes A Huge Impact"

“And the King will say, “I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it for me.” Matthew 25:40

Serving as the Outreach Manager at The Lydia Project for the past twelve months has given me insight to how the “smallest act of kindness” can be used to make a transformational impact in the lives of someone in need. The Lydia Project works to serve women going through any kind of cancer diagnosis, anywhere in the world...and right here in our own back yard. As the Outreach Manager I get the unique privilege to work closely with CSRA women going through cancer treatment who are in need of financial assistance with their rent or mortgage, keeping their utilities turned on, or assistance in paying for prescriptions or needed medical supplies.  I witness often women crying tears of relief when handed a check to turn their utility back on with Trinity on the Hill UMC's Mission funding.  I am also privileged to facilitate on-going spiritual and emotional support for women through monthly cards of hope/encouragement, emails, phone calls and home visits. I also have the honor of working with many volunteers (many from TOTH) who make what looks like a “small act of kindness” yet lands with a huge impact. Although there are hundreds of transformational moments in the lives of the women Lydia serves, what comes to mind most is how lives are being saved through Lydia's lodging for women needing overnight stay in order to receive cancer treatment.  
Here are a few quotes from Lydia recipients who have been impacted by the transforming work of The Lydia Project and the volunteers who make Lydia's ministry so special…

·  Stella (SC) - "I want to thank each and every one of you for caring about me.  May God bless you all."

·  Angie (GA) - "To everyone at The Lydia Project.  Thank you so very much for the wonderful room.  Gus and I were so thankful we didn't have to get up at 2:00am to get ready for a long drive.  The staff was so kind and hospitable.  I appreciate my bag and quilt.  I am so thankful for The Lydia Project.  With Appreciation and Love, -Angie and Gus" 

·  "What a blessing this is at a truly heartbreaking time in peoples' lives. I am so grateful my mother can be a recipient. May God bless you all!" -Donna, Daughter

·  Maxine (GA) - "Just a word of love and many thanks for all the cards and letters I received during my year of breast cancer treatment.  It was always a smile to receive a letter in that mail box knowing someone I didn't even know loved me enough to pray for me.  I know my God has never left my side thru all the hard ups and downs.  May God bless The Lydia Project."

·  McNeal Family (GA) - "We would like to say thank you for volunteering your time and treating our mom so special.  Mom loved reading your cards, speaking with you on the phone and even listening to your messages when she missed your calls.  These things brightened her days."

GiGi Bradford,
Outreach Manager,
The Lydia Project

No comments: