Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Messy, Noisy Children in the Church


It's VBS week at my church.  

It's loud stuff- much louder than I remember.  The noise starts around 8:30AM & ends around 12:30.  The children start the day off with over-the-top music.  That "normal" church quiet doesn't seem to return until 3 or 4PM.

Of course, they've also made a mess.  Streamers in the sanctuary, paper and stuff all over the walls, and even on the ceilings.  I'm not even going to tell you what the bathrooms or church dining room look like after 300 children have spent the day at the church.  

The children are wall-to-wall & you can't move easily without a hassle.    

And this is a good thing.  

In fact, it is a VERY good thing.  I like the photo as I look beyond the baptismal font at the wild crowd.  It reminds me of the way a pastor in The United Methodist Church encourages a congregation, after an infant or child has been baptized, to teach and nurture the child.

It's messy business, but well worth it for them and for us.

Oh, and I didn't tell you about those silver circles just to the right of the baptismal font.  Those are food bins to receive cans in a boys vs. girls contest to see who can collect the most items to help the local food bank.

Watch out!  There are LOTS of children in the church!!   

No comments: