Monday, January 20, 2014

TOC Devo: That Feeling

Isaiah 52:7 (NIV) How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”

“That Feeling”
I work a few shifts every month at two different faith based medical clinics in downtown Augusta. The patients seen in these clinics are poor and have no health insurance.  I love serving in this clinics because of the patients and the unadulterated opportunity to share the Good News and show God’s love. 

Recently one of my patients was a late middle aged woman with many of the common physical complaints that come with aging.  After we had addressed her health issues and prescribed her appropriate medications, the patient was planning out loud where she would get money to pay for the prescriptions.  Last year my wife came up with the idea to buy a number of Walmart gift cards to give away in 4 and 10 dollar amounts to cover prescriptions written for medications on the “4 dollar list”. This year we did the same and my wife wrote the message, “Jesus Loves You”, on each card in permanent ink. I offered to give the patient one of these gift cards.  When I returned with the gift card, the patient was already in tears.  And, when she read aloud the words written on the card, “Jesus Loves You”, it only got worse. I teasingly admonished the patient that she needed to stop because she was making my eyes get a little misty. The truth, however, was that I was overwhelmed with that feeling I ONLY get when I know without a shadow of doubt that I have become God’s hands and feet.
Romans 10:15 (NIV) And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Larry B. Mellick, MD, MS, FAAP, FACEP
Medical Director, Harrisburg Family Healthcare Clinic

 

No comments: