Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fall 2011 Consignment Sale

I'm shocked that 6 months have past and it's now time for the fall consignment sale. But the calendar and last 2 days of hyperactivity remind me otherwise. This isn't the old church yard sales I experienced in my early years of ministry where everyone would show up on the day of the sale and we broke out the masking tape and markers. This is a laptop computer, barcodes on every item, 60,000-70,000 item consignment sale. And they didn't teach me to install software, integrate a new computer into a network, and set up a local area network back in seminary days-- but you do what you've got to do!

It's always a huge blessing for the church as we get 40% of the net for the church's various mission projects. So, it's worth the challenges & long hours. And we have a huge response from the community who are involved as consignors, volunteers, and shoppers. All in all, it's an incredible experience.

So far during the last two days of set-up I've been reminded:
-there is no easy way to gather 300+ volunteers
-communication is a challenge with people & the more people you deal with during a day the more challenging it gets
-throw in some heat (back to 95+ the last two days in Augusta) & long days and the above issues become greater
-and yet I'm continually amazed at some of the workhorses and saints that show a commitment, perseverance, and depth of character that restores hope and gives me that energy I most need.

The sale is Friday 9-7 & Saturday 8-2. Oh, and then we clean up!

Find all the details here.

Clothes

Toys

No comments: